Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tim baba...a blue eyed Hindu

On my way to Istanbul from Delhi; i met Tim baba. A blue eyed Hindu, a hippie, a freak - call what you will.... I first saw him when waiting to board the flight and saw him sitting on the floor - with his legs neatly folded; the way only Indians can sit comfortably.

I ignored him as a freak. A confused white man - looking for his soul in India...or a possible hedonist seeking salvation in sex, drugs and rock and roll at one of the Osho ashrams. But he had a beautiful smile....when he did smile - his eyes lit up. Dressed in orange, with a bandana and teeth which were almost yellow - the colour of sugarcane...he had a few beads hanging from his neck and was barefoot. Long flowing hair, which looked unkempt completed the scene perfectly.

As i kept my cabin baggage in the overhead compartment, i looked around and noticed that Tim baba was sitting next to me. I cursed my luck and swore under my breath. I was to share my almost seven hour flight with this freak ! The lord save me... I told myself.

The first half of the flight was spent in what i do best when i travel - Sleep. when i woke up; i noticed that Tim baba was still sleeping and i had missed my breakfast. I called the Airhostess and requested for breakfast. She obliged and in a few minutes; i was served my first sample of Turkish food.

Tim baba woke up a while later...and smiled his characteristic smile. I responded back and being characteristically polite; asked him if he would like to have his breakfast.

"Oh yes, sure why not ! " he responded.

The shared breakfast started the conversation....Tim told me of his travel back home. He was giong back to the UK. To his father's funeral. Tim was a 50 year old brit who had found salvation in India and in Hinduism. After a life long search for meaning and what he had to do; Tim accidentally came to INdia and found his true calling...

"Bhagvan ( God) brought me to India" he kept saying... "It is all his doing....destiny decides who you meet; what you do, how you live and what happens to you" he added.....

As someone living a life of coincidences, accidents and near disasters -yet, living with an open heart; i could not disagree. I somehow felt i liked this man. This guy who seemed so uncouth, savage, ugly....yet had a beautiful smile...a warm heart and an innate sense of life and what it means to live... He deeply loved his family and was going to say his final good bye to his father.

Tim was living in Hrishikesh and running an ashram, school and a medical centre for the poor.

We spoke about many things....both rational and irrational. Tim opened up to me...he responded to what was human in me. I responded to him. It was a good exchange - two strangers swapping stories of their lives....

We reached Istanbul a few hours later....and i gave him my card and we parted ways.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim Baba is a old freind of me ,for now 8 years .I live in the ashram ,
with him and other Sadues , for tre months every year .
He still try to get a message out too
peopel ,and the world .
That the world must bee one .
That we are all one .
Only one Good ,different names .
Jai Hanuman Jai Sitaram .
Aaaauuuummmm.........Mamaji .jan 2010

Unknown said...

Tim Baba is a old freind of me ,for now 8 years .I live in the ashram ,
with him and other Sadues , for tre months every year .
He still try to get a message out too
peopel ,and the world .
That the world must bee one .
That we are all one .
Only one Good ,different names .
Jai Hanuman Jai Sitaram .
Aaaauuuummmm.........Mamaji .jan 2010

Unknown said...

The world is ,not about money .
The world is ,take care of it
Take care of all peopel .
Let us all ,be one .
Tim baba now ,sit and meditate ,
one months ,without food and no sleep.
In Alahabad ,Kumba Milla .
Religius Festival .
To get the messege out to peopel .
Mamaji

Unknown said...

Tim Baba, is like a father for me, I know him since I was 9 years old, now I am 22. He opened my heart and my soul, because he knows that this is the most important. Money, fame and status is just illusion. Infinite LOVE is the only truth. God is ONE! We the people are ONE, unseperately! We can never be seperated, even if dark forces in this world áre trying so it is psysicaly impossible!
Long live the message of Tim Baba,
ONE God - with many names
ONE World
ONE People - All Brothers & Sisters,

With Love & Peace

Unknown said...

The "I" has to be killed. All forms of "”I” desire that and “I” desire this", all egoistic plans have to make way for that which is good for all beings and the environment. Only what is good for the whole is also good for you and me. No separation for unity is the reality we are living in. All separation is an illusion, Why have any goals for the future, a future that will soon fade away?
Why bother making future plans for yourself or anyone else, when neither you nor the others will be here a hundred years from now, when the people are not even here anymore in less than 100 years?
We must act now!
The politicians will first act when we do it, when we people in the factories, in the street, on the farms, at the hospitals, on the police stations, in the kinder gardens, in the schools, in the companies, the shops, the countryside, the cities, when ALL of usundertake action and change, first then will the politicians change, thus The politicians will first change their policies when we change ours!
We must sacrifice, we must head to the streets and start mobilizing, like Mahatma Gandhi did. It does not help anything
if we keep on working for the sole purpose of our own good!

If we keep buying the products that the big worldwide wicked corporations are trying to sell to us,
We must see that the conditions of the current systems are balanced on exploitation of the earth and a vast quantity of its beings, animals, humans and plants and brainwashing of millions of people into comsumption frenzy. I see little kids in the kingdom of Denmark wearing badges reading: born to shop! IT has got to stop; we must spread the words of unity and the fall of capitalism.

The only way is to demonstrate continuously, to make your life in to a on-going demonstration, never buy any of these American produced products that indirectly kill millions of people, never buy any of the American owned brands that play a major role in killing millions of people, whether through war, food or toys.
Since many centuries we, the western world, have been the role model of the world. And we our self have asked to get that position. When we arrived in what nowadays is called Australia, we shot hundreds of native people, raised big crosses and commanded the people to believe – subjecting them - in the cross, believe in our belief and do WHAT WE DO AND WHAT WE SAY! We made them produce what we needed to sell them the products we wanted them to buy. We made them slaves of their own production. They bought what they themselves produced. And for a higher price than their wages and that is the same story we see today.

How the f*** do any of you people, including myself, there is not that fucking big a difference, believe that the people from China, India, Africa, Russia and many others around the world are willing to make the sacrifices which we are not even ourselves ready to make. We are a bunch of hypocrites, a bunch of racists, because we act as if we have deserved what they have not! And words do not do anything. We are a bunch of critics of orators. But the world needs role models. We really need models. Listen up dear fellow beings in this the homeland of Hypocrisy, we are the models, so the simple moral sounds be a good one!

We are talking bad about the national & international leaders, about their system, wanting them to change and still wonder why they dont, but how the f### can any of us expect that they will change if we don't change?


No more privatization!
But much more family (loving) feelings to all our brothers & sisters, because that is indeed what we are, no borders no color can change that fact! We ARE ALL ONE! WE are all from the SAME source! On the Same World

Anonymous said...

Your all deluded! I was with him for 7 years and had his first child with him. He couldn't cope being a father so he dumped me at a homeless hostel and married my best friend. I've struggled on my own all these years to find out he has also done this to another woman. When his father died he inherited a lot of money and still hasn't helped his children. Tim is very false.

Anonymous said...

oi oi big Tim Baba, your old mate Fat Andy here, how about that night we gave your dog Jordan a blowback from that joint and got it stoned in Beckton? Tim baba is an old mate of mine for 30yrs and we had had plenty of drunken,drugged up laughs and more in the old punk and skin days,glad to see hes found hes true calling mentally and religiously,but i bet the lot of you he couldnt stand in front of me now and say sausages three times without laughing....A bottle of Amyl and 20 marlboro and me old mate Big Tim will be back on the firm.....Fat Andy

Jigar said...

I went through the worst of my life when I broke up with Reema, following which faced a worst road accident injuring my parents and relatives. The guilt inside me was killing me just when a friend offered a road trip all the way to the north of India. I started off thinking that I will have all the time by myself thinking about life and its carnations. Interestingly I met Tim Baba & spent some days at his ashram visiting him and encountered a new thought, as to which said that life has to be moving. The solace was there, but still incomplete, guess it will be complete only when I am. The memories are fading, though the experiences were amazing. Wish to visit Tim baba soon. Feel like discussing some of my future endeavours with him, maybe that happens soon.

Anonymous said...

Well if it aint me old mate Tim. this is Sid here, the punk who hung around with you and went to Ants and UK Subs gigs etc back in 1979/80. Its a far cry from what you were about back then.

Dominic said...

Tim,
I need you to get in contact urgently.If anyone knows where Tim is and can contact him, can you get him to contact his family.