Thursday, September 18, 2008

on books..

Books talk to us. They are the voices of the authors, sometimes dead and gone. They are the best chance we have of conversing with some of the most wonderful minds of our times without ever meeting them. Wouldn’t we like to converse with our heroes, our role models and those we look upto ? Isn’t it great to take part in their adventures, journeys without “moving an inch” as Gogol said. Books offer this chance at no great cost and in the comfort of our home. But one thing that really irks me is what to do with books that one has finished reading ? Does one keep them, and attempt building a library or give them away or just junk them ?? The answer is not simple as I found out - while I changed residence 5 times in the last 3 years. And with each move, I shed more books; like a snake changing its skin, and discovered the really important ones in my collection - the ones that may stay with me till the end of my life.
Books are a monologue. A one way conversation which we can cannot control. There is no chance of disagreeing, debating and arguing, because the author is not present before us to refute us and defend his/her point of view. Sometimes I wonder which are my favourite books ? Clearly, it has to be the non-fiction ones - give me essays, commentaries, analysis anyday and I will devour it and only of late have I developed a liking for certain novelists ( Orhan Pamuk, Rushdie, Turgenev) among others and have taken to reading their works seriously. Among middle eastern writers, Naguib Mahfouz clearly stands out as a giant among writers. His “Arabian days and nights” caught my attention and I could not put it down till I finished it, in about three sittings.
There are books we love, books we hate and books that we don’t bother even finishing. Quite a few books catch our attention because of the cover or what the blurb says and at times because one is impressed by the author and assumes that he has something interesting to share; while this time he may not impress us as much as the last book. The ones we love, we treasure jealously, like a lover we do not want to lose. I remember guarding my “Jack and the beanstalk” illustrated book when I was about 6 or 7 years old that my uncle from the US had sent me. I would not let anyone borrow it ( it was ok to read it at my home). Then this obsession grew and as I started buying and collecting more books; it almost became a passion. Seeing my books ( a few hundred) neatly lined up in my book shelf at my parents home gave me a pleasure I had not known earlier. It was my treasure, my possession that I was proud of. “Thou shalt not lend” was my first rule . I learnt this from my very good friend Azeem, who had let me photo-copy his “Tao of Jeet Kune do” by Bruce Lee ( both of us were into martial arts then and Bruce Lee was a role model in many ways). I remember reading this book several times and making sure that even though I did not have the original, the copy was neatly kept and no one got to borrow it.
As I graduated out of Engineering school ( and I had accumulated about 50 odd Engineering books apart from the text books), apart from all the other books ; books on philosophy of science, Management, Business books, marketing related books etc.. I decided to give this chunk away to my juniors at college. The logic was this : These books are expensive and should be passed on to those who cant afford them and if they make good use of it; then it would be great. If not, they would sit on my book-shelf and serve no purpose anyway.
Then came the move from my parents home. My first shock. As I moved homes, I realized that about half the books that I had went missing during the move. They were either lost or not brought to the new apartment. I took some time to recover from this, and realized that it is ok to lose books. Nothing stays with us for ever, so if one lost a few hundred books; it was ok .
Subsequently, due to various reasons; I moved three times more in less than two years. I had become a nomad of sorts within my own city - shifting homes and shedding my belongings. I gave away many of my old clothes, belongings, and of course books. My strategy was simple : Instead of moving around with the baggage ( I like to travel light ) and even when moving homes, this habit sort of rubbed off on my attitude towards belongings. I told myself that I will not have more than what I really need. The rest went to my friends ( some of them were very very happy ) about the stuff I gave them. A computer table, Couple of chairs, an expensive Teak dining set ( was I crazy ?? ) , several books ( lost count of them) , all of them were gifted to well-wishers and friends. I realized I did not need these and could live with out any of these comfortably. I had made good use of them and now it was time to give them to others.
During my most recent move to Dubai, the decision was simple - I again reminded myself that I don’t need more than 10 books on me, ( also practical considerations came into picture) . The ten most important ones - that would stay, and I would build myself a collection in Dubai. I stuck with this decision and landed with fewer than 12 books on me. I gifted several of them and some of the favorites, I kept at my parents home; just in case…



So, what is the best strategy to deal with books one has finished reading ?? Pass them on, I would say. Pass them on only if you have enjoyed it. Let others share in the joy and exhilaration of a good conversation with the author. Pass on some goodness because sooner or later; it will come back to you - in one way or another.

1 comment:

Mee said...

Hey! Next time you want to part with your diamonds or the Lab let me know:)